U.S. military vehicles escort passenger buses transporting Islamic State detainees from northeastern Syria into Iraq, Feb. 8, 2026. (Str/Xinhua via Getty Images)
U.S. forces previously withdrew from al-Tanf Garrison, a strategic outpost near the borders of Syria, Jordan and Iraq, as part of a broader posture adjustment announced earlier this year. At the time, U.S. Central Command said American forces would remain prepared to strike ISIS targets and safeguard long-term stability.
Officials told the Journal the broader withdrawal is not tied to the current buildup of U.S. naval and air assets in the Middle East amid tensions with Iran over its nuclear program. Tehran has threatened retaliation against American troops in the region if the U.S. launches airstrikes.
The Trump administration has determined a continued military footprint in Syria is no longer necessary following shifts in control on the ground, including the integration of Kurdish-led forces into the Syrian army after the ouster of Bashar al-Assad, the officials told the Journal.
134 HOUSE REPUBLICANS DEMAND 'ASSURANCES' BEFORE US EASES SYRIA SANCTIONS
Soldiers from the US-led coalition walk with members of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) during a joint patrol in the countryside of Qamishli, northeastern Syria, Feb. 8, 2024. (Orhan Qereman/Reuters)
Officials indicated in late January that thousands more detainees could also be moved as part of the broader effort to maintain long-term security in the region.
Syria became the 90th member of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS, a U.S.-led alliance formed to coordinate international efforts against the extremist group, in November.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Tom Barrack, the U.S. ambassador to Turkey and special envoy for Syria, said Damascus – under interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa – is prepared to assume security responsibilities, including control of ISIS detention facilities and camps, following the 2024 ouster of al-Assad.
Fox News Digital’s Ashley Carnahan contributed to this report.
Greg Wehner is a breaking news reporter for Fox News Digital.
Story tips and ideas can be sent to Greg.Wehner@Fox.com and on Twitter @GregWehner.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-orders-complete-withdrawal-all-troops-syria-two-months-report