Abbey Gate Gold Star father blisters Biden after Afghan national allegedly ambushes 2 National Guardsmen in DC

Gold Star father blames Biden administration for D.C. shooting by Afghan national, citing inadequate vetting during failed 2021 Afghanistan withdrawal.

Former President Joe Biden is under fire from Gold Star families like the Hoovers after an Afghan national allegedly ambushed and shot two National Guardsmen in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday. (Darin Hoover, Getty Images)

The FBI is leading the investigation into the shooting, and multiple intelligence sources tell Fox News Digital the attack is being treated as a possible act of international terrorism. The suspect, identified as 29-year-old Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, was taken into custody after allegedly ambushing the two West Virginia National Guardsmen near the White House.

Fox News Digital previously reported that Lakanwal entered the United States in September 2021 under Operation Allies Welcome, immediately following the fall of Kabul, and that he had worked with several U.S. government entities, including the CIA, as part of a partner force in Kandahar.

"The individual — and so many others — should have never been allowed to come here," former CIA Director John Ratcliffe told Fox News Digital. "Our citizens and service members deserve far better than to endure the ongoing fallout from the Biden administration’s catastrophic failures."

ALLEGED DC SHOOTER ENTERED US UNDER AFGHAN RESETTLEMENT PUSH MAYORKAS VOWED WOULD BE DONE ‘SWIFTLY AND SAFELY'

Staff Sgt. Darin Taylor Hoover was killed in action in Afghanistan on August 26, 2021. He is a Purple Heart recipient. (Darin Hoover)

Hoover’s earlier remarks made headlines in 2024, when he reacted to President Biden falsely claiming during a presidential debate that no U.S. service members had died under his watch. At the time, Hoover told Fox News Digital that he felt "rage" hearing Biden deny the deaths of the Abbey Gate 13.

"The rage, the absolute disgust that I got from hearing him say that — I started yelling back at the TV," he said in 2024. "He’s never acknowledged, not one time, any of our kids. He’s never said their names."

He also revealed then that the Biden administration sent the Abbey Gate families a batch of identical condolence letters a year after the attack.

DETAILS EMERGE ON CIA UNIT ALLEGED NATIONAL GUARD SHOOTER SERVED WITH IN AFGHANISTAN

"All 13 families got a canned letter," he said in a 2024 Fox News Digital interview. "It looked like it was a photocopy. We’ve had absolutely nothing before, nothing since."

Hoover’s frustration at being unable to secure a meeting with Biden was also part of that earlier reporting.

"[Biden] doesn’t want to deal with us," Hoover said in 2024. "He knows that we’re in his face, but he doesn’t want to deal with us."

But Hoover told Fox News Digital this week that Wednesday’s shooting, allegedly carried out by an Afghan national allowed into the country during the withdrawal, is a devastating new chapter. To him, it demonstrates that the consequences of the troubled evacuation are still unfolding on American soil.

Federal officials say the investigation into the shooting remains active. Hoover says he will continue speaking out until the families of the Abbey Gate fallen receive answers — and until the former administration takes responsibility for what he believes are ongoing failures.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

"This isn’t going away," he said at the time. "We’re not going away."

Fox News Digital’s Brooke Singman contributed to this report.

Jasmine Baehr is a Breaking News Writer for Fox News Digital, where she covers politics, the military, faith and culture.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/abbey-gate-gold-star-father-blisters-biden-after-afghan-national-allegedly-ambushes-2-national-guardsmen-dc